beep beep slowpoke coming through
Okay yes, S.S. DirkJake just sank, but I can’t really blame Dirk. Like shit, Jake was being a coward who wouldn’t own up to any of the issues between them, ignored Dirk who wanted to talk it over, and overall just basically ran away from the problem. And sure, Dirk might’ve come off as overbearing but Jake could’ve just said something and been mature about it. But no. He ran off, he shut Dirk out, and obviously that doesn’t help anything.
Having had experience being on Dirk’s end of this kind of situation, I am proud of Dirk for standing up and being the mature one and facing the issue head-on. While it’s not the outcome I personally would’ve wanted, the characterization is great and I am pretty satisfied with that.
Side note is that I wasn’t as attached to DirkJake while it was canon because the only satisfaction of it being canon came out of the flash showing all the alphas on their planets, in which Dirk and Jake were shown with gas masks and fighting together. The rest of it was “eh” to me.
I’ve found my ships feel stronger when they’re not canon or presented by canon because canon sticks it a certain way that may or may not line up with my personal interpretation of it or the unseen sides of the characters.
So I guess that’s why I’m sad yet content at the same time.
From Dirk’s POV
- He knows Jake is a huge dork but he still likes him anyway.
- The way he regards Jake with such amazement “I still just think it’s impressive, is all. Even after all this time. You are pretty much a one of a kind dude.”
- The way Jake makes him feel more confident about himself
- The way he speaks with Jake. Always in a playful tone, like he can let go of all his worries and just have fun for a while.
- The way he worries about Jake and built him brobot to fight with. “You’ve spent too long alone on that island as it is. I kinda worry about you. A man can only spend so much time in the middle of the damn ocean with nothing but popcultural destritus and his own thoughts to keep him company.”
From Jake’s POV
- He knows Dirk is after him and yet he does not run away from him
- He’s actually taken consideration of Dirk’s feelings and come to the conclusion that they really have a lot in common so they might be able to hit it off well
- He’s given Dirk the confidence to believe in himself and praises his work
- He believed in Dirk when he told him he was from the future (that’s a lot of trust right there)
- The way he gets so excited just from Dirk giving him a thumbs up
- The way he completely disregarded Dirk’s gender and is looking at him for who he is, not for what he has between his legs
So no, I do not ship DirkJake because “ooooh, h0t yaoiz!!!”. I ship it because I find that they compliment each other nicely and I would really love to see how their relationship pans out.
That is all. DirkJake shipper out.
Someone get the popcorn.
Look up the Dirk/Jake tag.
Get punched in the heart.
Get feelings stabbed.
Proceed to hold pillow and cry while drowning in pathetic love song music.
Wish on every star in the galaxy that Hussie won’t sink the ship even though you know he will.
Wonder if you’ll ever find that someone who loves you that fucking much.
Cry more when you remember that no one will.
Attempt to go back to Ethics homework, since you fucking love Timaeus.
Get reminded of Dirk.
Proceed to think about the Dirk/Jake tag again.